TAMPA, Fla. – The USL announced on Thursday the five nominees for the USL Player of the Month award, with top performers from the opening six weeks of the season selected for the ballot.
Voting in the USL Player of the Month Award will be conducted by following three voting bodies:
- The USL Technical Committee’s ballots comprise 34 percent of the poll
- The USL National Media Panel’s ballots comprise 33 percent of the poll
- A fan vote on USLSoccer.com will comprise the remaining 33 percent of the poll. The fan vote will run through Monday, May 8 at 9 a.m. ET.
The award winner and complete voting results will be announced on Thursday, May 11.
2017 USL Player of the Month Nominees – March/April
- Billy Forbes, San Antonio FC – Forbes was the catalyst for San Antonio’s undefeated start to the season, with six goals and three assists in seven games helping SAFC win six of its first seven games in 2017.
- Romario Williams, Charleston Battery – Williams scored six goals to lead the Battery to the top of the Eastern Conference standings at the end of April. Charleston leads the Eastern Conference with 15 goals.
- Vincent Bezecourt, New York Red Bulls II – While the Red Bulls II’s title defense got off to an up-and-down start, Bezecourt had five goals and two assists to provide a model of consistency in midfield.
- Angelo Cavalluzzo, Toronto FC II – Cavalluzzo recorded 18 saves in four appearances for TFC II, including three consecutive shutouts against Rochester, Ottawa and Louisville to close April.
- Marcel Schäfer, Tampa Bay Rowdies – Schäfer completed 90.4 percent of 394 total passes, and 75 percent of his long passes, to help the Rowdies sit tied for the Eastern Conference lead at the end of April.