Sacramento, Calif. (April 12, 2016) – Sacramento Republic FC announced new details regarding Major League Soccer (MLS) Commissioner Don Garber’s visit to Sacramento this Thursday, April 14. Garber and several top MLS officials will be in Sacramento to learn more about the city’s bid for an MLS expansion club.
As part of the visit, Garber is scheduled to participate in several activities, including:
- Meetings with Mayor Kevin Johnson and Republic FC Lead Investor Kevin Nagle
- Site tour of The Railyards and proposed stadium site in downtown Sacramento
- Meetings with MLS-level Investors and corporate partners
- MLS Block Party on L Street between 15th and 16th streets
- Press conference with local media
- MLS Stadium Presentation with the stadium project team
In addition, in order to accommodate the expected large fan turnout for the MLS Block Party, Republic FC and the City of Sacramento have agreed to expand the event by closing down a section of L Street between 15th and 16th streets.
The MLS Block Party will include appearances by Republic FC players, food trucks, local beer, games and more. de Vere’s Irish Pub, Firestone Public House and an outside stage will air the UEFA Europa League matches. A fan hosted Q&A session with Garber will be hosted on the main stage. Fans may submit questions via social media using #BuiltforMLS. Afterwards, a press conference will be held with Garber to address the media in Firestone Public House.
Fans are encouraged to participate in the three-part “Hat Trick” Match Plan: which includes
- Showcasing their finest Republic FC gear on Thursday
- Attending the MLS Block Party, and
- Promoting the Commissioner’s visit on social media using the hashtag #BuiltforMLS.
MLS Commissioner Visit Block Party Details
What: MLS Block Party
MLS Commissioner Don Garber Press Conference
When: Thursday, April 14, 2016
Where: L Street between 15th and 16th streets
- 11:00 a.m. Fan arrivals/Festivities begin
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. MLS Commissioner Garber Q&A with Fans
- Press Conference (inside Firestone Public House)
- 2:00 p.m. Event concludes
Note: Specific times are subject to change
- MLS Commissioner Don Garber
- MLS Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott
- Mayor Kevin Johnson
- Sacramento Republic FC Lead Investor Kevin Nagle
- Sacramento Republic FC President Warren Smith
- Additional Representatives from MLS delegation
- Republic FC Players and Personnel
- Football/soccer fans and supporters